Monday, December 1, 2008

“My turn read Moon mommy! My turn!”

“Ok honey. You read Moon.”

“Ok mommy! There. The big green room. Telephone. Balloon. The cow jump the moon. Two bears sit the chairs. They no eat mommy. They all finished.”

Every night before bed, for months, we have read the same three books. Goodnight Moon. Hop on Pop. Pajama Time. We have lots of books to choose from, and if it were up to me, we would vary our selections. But Liana likes this selection. And she decides which order we read them in. That, at least, varies every night.

Recently, Liana has decided that I read one book, and then she reads one book.

Obviously, she doesn’t read yet. She hasn’t even mastered the ABC’s, and does not understand the concept of letters making sounds and combining them into words. But she loves reading, and she insists on doing EVERYTHING that I do.

Those of you who know the Goodnight Moon story are aware that there are three bears sitting on chairs, and no indication that they have been eating. But she is quite insistent about the fact that they have just finished. Every night.

She has her opinions. And she has her desires. And she makes them all quite clear.

“My turn, mommy!” is one of our household mantras.

Of course, she does not perform for the camera. I tried to record her “reading,” interspersed with her commentary. And what did she do when I turned on the camera? She insisted that it was my turn to read Hop on Pop. And here is the 5 second video of that declaration.