Wednesday, December 24, 2008


Liana’s first Christmas in NY. And mommyhood is good.

So. We’ve got a small tree. She LOVES her tree. She loves all Christmas trees, and gets excited when she sees one, but each time she says “My Christmas tree at home, mommy!” I’ve explained to her that we honor the evergreen on the longest nights of the year, when all of the other trees have lost their leaves, and cover the evergreen in light and color with the expectation that light and color will return to the earth. Don’t think she’s absorbed too much of my explanation, but she is a bright kid, and when she hears it again next year it will start to click.

I’m trying to keep everything as clear and honest as possible. I’ve told her that many many years ago, there was a very good man who gave gifts to people that he didn’t even know. He was called Santa Clause or Saint Nicholas. I’ve told her that in honor of his goodness, we give gifts to the people we love. And that many people dress up like Santa Clause, to remind us to be kind and generous.

She has no idea that when she wakes up tomorrow morning, her stocking is going to be full, and there will be gifts under her tree.

I am so not consumeristic. But I cannot even believe how excited it am.