Thursday, November 13, 2008


I’ve noticed that when Liana and I are out together in public, I, ummmm, chatter. A lot. I mean, when we are in places like supermarkets and doctors office waiting rooms or even when I am just pushing the stroller down the street, I seem to always be talking. Which seems normal to me I guess.

Look at the box of orzo! Orzo is pasta. Yummm. I like to eat orzo with cheese and butter. Do you like to eat orzo?

Look at the birds! Those birds are pigeons. What are the pigeons doing? They are eating. How nice. Look! Now they are flying! The pigeons are flying! How beautiful. I love to watch birds fly. Do you like to watch birds fly?

Look at that picture. What is the woman doing? She is smiling. See! There is her mouth. Where is your mouth? Right! Where is mommy’s mouth? Right! See… these are her lips, and those are her teeth. Show me your lips. And your teeth. I can’t see her tongue. Can you show me your tongue?

And on and on.

This seems normal to me. I mean… there is so much to see and so much to talk about!

Oddly, however, even when I am surrounded by other parents with their kids in these public places, I seem to be the only one talking. In the waiting room, my voice is echoing over the silence, or the shuffling of insurance papers. In the supermarket, my voice is competing with the background music and the announcements that Jose needs to come to the front. Even on the street, the only people talking are the ones talking on cell phones.

So I guess I am the odd one, huh?