Friday, May 8, 2009


Liana continues to spend a disproportionate amount of time thinking about and talking about dinosaurs. And worrying about dinosaurs. About a month ago I lost patience with the umpteenth conversation in which I was asked to assess the probability that a dinosaur was lurking in some corner of our home. So out of frustration, I monologued. I explained to Liana in great detail that there were no dinosaurs, and provided on overview of the current theories concerning events leading up to the extinction of the dinosaurs. She seemed to have no interest in my monologue. In fact, she basically seemed to ignore me, and turned her attention to the needs of the inhabitants of her dollhouse.

A few days later, we were going to give our neighbor Antonia tres besos, an evening tradition. As we approached the door out of our apartment, Liana asked if there were dinosaurs on the other side. I firmly insisted, NO DINOASAURS. Liana listened, and as we opened the door, she chanted the mantra, no dinosaurs, no dinosaurs, no dinosaurs. And I guess something clicked in her head.

As we knocked on Antonia’s door, Liana excitedly started carrying on about dinosaurs.


"ANTONIA! ANTONIA! The dinosaurs, they go ROAR! ROAR. They have the teeth, the big teeth. The claws. Go ROAR. And then the big rock come down. It go BOOM. And the dinosaurs, the dinosaurs get cold and go brrrrrrr. And the dinosaurs, the dinosaurs, they leave their BONES on the EARTH!!!!!!"

Ummm. Wow.

Note to self: She is always listening to everything I say. Everything.