Wednesday, January 14, 2009




“My turn read Hop on Pop.”

“Ok honey. Your turn to read “Hop on Pop.”

She opens the book, and turns to a page. She stares intently at the words, and runs her fingers along them. Mimicking me, mimicking the older kids at daycare, she points deliberately at each word.

“House. Mouse.”

She moves to the opposite page. Again, pointing to the words, not the pictures, she says

“Mouse. House.”

She turns the page.

“All tall.”

The opposite page…

“All little.”

I giggle to myself. How interesting. She is focusing on content, “little” rather than remembering the rhyme, which should read “all small.”

She turns the page again.

She frowns. Furrows her eyebrows. Stares intently at the page. Touches the words. Finally, she turns to me, and declares, with both surprise and frustration,

“Mommy. I no can read!”

Awwww.

“No honey. But you can pretend to read. You are still learning the alphabet. But when you get bigger, you will be able to read.”